Thursday, September 5, 2013

Planning for Kaya (time #2)

My American Girl class is beginning again next week! I have been planning and prepping, and will be shopping for supplies this week. I am beginning my American Girl cycle over again, so I am back to the first American Girl, Kaya, after 2 1/2 years. I am looking forward to learning about her and Native Americans all over again! This schedule may be changed around a little bit, we will see how things go!
I hope you will enjoy following along with me each Thursday this fall!


Kaya Study outline (6 weeks): Kaya (1764) from the Pacific Northwest, Nez Perce tribe

9/10/13  Book 1: Meet Kaya
Craft- Nametags/ Intro to Kaya, Dream Catchers, “Totem Poles”, Info on Totem Pole & Dream Catchers
Snack- Cranberry Fritters

9/17/13  Book 2: Kaya’s Escape
Craft- Corn husk doll
Snack- Leaf bread

9/24/13  Book 3- Kaya’s Hero
Craft- Paper Bag Vests, Geography pages
Snack- Easy Indian Fry Bread

10/1/13  Book 4: Kaya and Lone Dog
Craft- Native American Pendant & Teepee art
Snack- Maple popcorn balls

10/8/13  Book 5: Kaya Shows the Way
Craft- Native American doll dress, Salmon info, Nez Perce info
Snack-Bannock

10/15/13  Book 6- Changes for Kaya
Craft- Native American Drum OR Basket Weaving, Talking Sticks, Guest Speaker
Snack- Corn Griddle Cakes

One side note: Since I am not an expert of Native American history, it is hard to find crafts and foods that are specific to the Nez Perce or Nimiipuu tribe which Kaya is a part of. So instead I have chosen crafts and recipes from a variety of tribes. My thought is that this will give the girls a good overview of what life would have been like during Kaya’s time. The information they are reading from the books each week will be specific to Kaya’s tribe and we can discuss the differences as we go along. If I can’t find the craft supplies I need or the snack recipes. My main intention with the crafts (and snacks) are to heighten the girls interest in learning about different periods of history. Hopefully the above collection of crafts will do just that!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis 24:7
“The Lord, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father’s household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, ‘To your offspring I will give this land’—he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there.


Isaiah 13:14
Like a hunted gazelle, like sheep without a shepherd, they will all return to their own people, they will flee to their native land.


Acts 2:7-9
 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...