Thursday, November 7, 2013

American Girl class Felicity2: Week 3

We had a fun American Girl class this week discussing Felicity's Surprise, the 3rd book in the series. After we discussed the book, we began our craft. We made "Tussie- Mussies" which are like a small flower bouquet. You can find directions online here. Our pattern was from Felicity's Craft Book and was a simpler version. I gave each girl a piece of cream colored lace (about 9" square), one foot of blue and one pink ribbon and a fake rose. I forgot to bring perfume to "scent" the rose, but maybe they could do that at home. It was an easy craft!

After we made the craft, we practiced curtsying (found directions here), looked at photos of Colonial Williamsburg today and had snack. The snack was supposed to be Shrewsbury cakes, but we had sugar cookies, which were great too! You can find the recipe for Shrewsbury cakes here (cut-out sugar cookies) just like they made in our book!

Next, we began our on-going project, which is a cross-stitch bookmark. I purchased some Aida cloth fabric from Wal-mart, trimmed it to size (3" X 8") and used Fray-stop on the edges. I gave a basic explanation on how to cross-stitch and each girl began! A few weeks ago, I had each girl tell me their initials and I made patterns at home using our Numbers program on my computer. Each bookmark had two hearts, one on either side of the initials. The girls found the middle of their fabric and middle of their pattern (I helped with that!). We worked on the bookmarks for about 20 minutes this week and will work on them the next three weeks! Most of the girls got part or all of one letter done! It was fun to watch them begin to figure it out. Several said they can't wait to work on it again next week!


I didn't get any pictures of the 2:00 class this week, which I realized as I was cleaning up the class. Sorry girls! But I only got three pictures of the first class! It was an "all- hands-on-deck" kind of class. In the first class, I had three mom helpers and in the 2nd I had one for 1/2 the class, and another came in for the cross-stitching part. I love seeing the moms helping the girls, even if they grumble about threading needles! :-D

 I did love getting this sweet note from one of the girls in the 2nd class. Made my day! I love teaching these girls. One of the moms said maybe she'd try cross-stitching again after my explanation! Wow!

I am looking forward to our class next week and making clothespin dolls!


Genesis 16:10
The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”

Genesis 32:12
But you have said, ‘I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.’”

Psalm 49:18-19
 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
and people praise you when you prosper—
they will join those who have gone before them,
who will never again see the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...