Monday, December 30, 2013

A Word for the New Year

Two years ago in December (or January?), I read an article in Guideposts Magazine by Debbie Macomber, about "A Word for the New Year." You can see Debbie explain this article/ idea and her book idea in the video here.

The past two years I have chosen a word for the year. In 2012 it was FAITHFUL. I felt God has been faithful to me, and I could learn to be more faithful to Him. I explored this word in my quiet time, looked up the definition, wrote down verses and memorized them with my theme word. In 2013, my word was JOY. I had had a tough year in 2012 (and early 2013) with my depression, and felt that I needed to explore God as my source for JOY. Once again, I explored the word in my Bible times and found verses to memorize. I even made a decoration for my home with the word JOY to remind me, and help me memorize the verse.

We also could find one verse for 2014: a promise to reflect on, a different way of thinking, a new discipline. Through prayer and reflection, choose one verse that captures what you're seeking in 2014.  Then display your Bible verse where you'll see it every day: a bathroom mirror, at your desk, your desktop background, even on your phone's home screen. You can share your verse with family and friends, about your verse and why you chose it. While one verse is a good focal point for the year, God's love can't be boiled down to a single verse. Explore related verses, using your verse as a springboard to dig deeper into the Bible and your faith as your continue to pursue God's word throughout the year. (Idea fromYouVersion email, #verse2014)

A good challenge for me? Yes! And it can be for you too...

I have not yet chosen a verse for 2014, or a word of the new year. I am going to be pondering that this week. I may try to let you know next week when I am back from my New Year's break with my family!

Happy New Year!

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

Lamentations 3:22-24
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”


Zephaniah 3:5
The Lord within her is righteous; he does no wrong. Morning by morning he dispenses his justice, and every new day he does not fail, yet the unrighteous know no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...