Thursday, January 16, 2014

Preparing for Caroline

I am beginning to teach another class of Caroline, the American Girl soon. I've not taught Caroline, while I have taught most of the other historical characters. (See my tab above for links to those classes.) I read the Caroline books over the summer, and wrote notes and ideas. Then I looked online and did a little research. I came up with enough ideas for six weeks of classes, and I know the girls are SO excited!

Here is what my plan is (which is not set in stone):
Caroline Study outline (6 weeks)
Caroline Abbott, from Sackets Harbor, New York (1812)

1/21/14  Book 1: Meet Caroline--*PLEASE READ BEFORE FIRST CLASS!
Craft: Ship-building w/ popsicle sticks; play with tops
Geography pages— New York/ Ontario, U.S./ Canada
Snack: Warm biscuits and honey, ginger tea

1/28/14 Book 2: Caroline's Secret Message
Craft: Knot-making, handkerchief doll’s bonnet
Snack: Ginger cakes, spiced cider

2/4/14  Book 3: A Surprise for Caroline
Craft: Handkerchief dolls, hoop races, discuss ice skating
Snack: Boiled cornmeal with maple syrup

2/11/14  Book 4: Caroline Takes a Chance
Craft: Paper dolls, penmanship practice
Snack: Mini-cinnamon roll, peppermint tea

2/18/14  Book 5: Caroline's Battle
Craft: Needlework card, discuss U.S. Flag (craft?)
Snack: Burnt Sugar Cake

2/25/14  Book 6: Changes for Caroline
Craft: Cinch bag, discuss Independence Day
Snack: Wild strawberries in cream


*This outline may change without notice... If I can’t find the craft supplies I need or the snack recipes. My main intention with the crafts (and snacks) are to heighten the girls interest in learning about different periods of history. Hopefully the above collection of crafts will do just that!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ezekiel 27:24
In your marketplace they traded with you beautiful garments, blue fabric, embroidered work and multicolored rugs with cords twisted and tightly knotted.

1 Kings 9:26
King Solomon also built ships at Ezion Geber, which is near Elath in Edom, on the shore of the Red Sea.

Proverbs 31:14
She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

1 Timothy 1:18-19

Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well, holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...