Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Word for New Year update

This is a printable I made for my phone and I printed to remind me...

So recently I wrote on my blog about "A Word for the New Year" and I have been thinking about it in the days since then. The word that I settled on is DENY/ self-denial. It is based on Luke 9:23, which says, (I am working on memorizing this as my verse of the year) "Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." This is what I desire this year, to deny myself and follow Jesus. 


You may think, "Aren't you a Mom? Don't you deny yourself and serve your family all day long?" Yes, I am, and yes, I do. But there are plenty of times when I do what I want to do. I don't feel like reading that long book to the kids, or playing a game with them. I don't want to sit on the floor and play dolls or Avengers, I want to read my book. I want to play a game on my phone too often. There is a time and place to read and play on the phone. I can do that momentarily, but are those things more important than gazing into my child or husband's eyes and talking? Relaxing is important, to be sure. I do love to read. But really, I love my children and sweet man more. Do I show that? Not as often as I'd like. So this year, my goals include focusing on my loved ones more and staring at silly word games less. 

Will I do it right each time? No, I'm sure to fail. But it's a goal, something to strive for. I do give much time to homeschool my kids, prepare for my American Girl classes, fix meals, clean the house. But I desire to TRY to honor others, and my Jesus this year. I want to take up my cross and follow Him. His way is the best way for me, and for YOU too. What does God have in store for you this year? He has a plan, but I'm sure He wants more of your heart. He wants us all to love the world less, to put aside what we want for ourselves. He wants us to seek HIM and what He wants more of in our lives. That is the best, godly and righteous pursuit, isn't it?

Matthew 16:24-25

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Mark 8:34-35

 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Luke 9:23-24

 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.

1 comment:

  1. :exhales:
    i am so very aware of this... "this" being not being fully present or how selfish i am..
    and i'm seeing how DENY plays a active part within my word of SUBMIT ..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...