Thursday, February 6, 2014

American Girl class: Caroline Week 3

American Girl class: Caroline Week 3

After we discussed the book, Surprise for Caroline (book 3 in the series), we began our craft. We also discussed ice skating and hoop races.

So far in our class, we've made 6 kinds of dolls-- clothespin, corn husk, yarn, bean, paper, and nesting dolls. This week we added a new one! The craft this week was handkerchief dolls. I found the directions to make them here.

They turned out really cute! I told the girls NOT to draw a face on it with markers. If they wanted, at home they could stitch eyes and mouth on the doll.

 My daughter with her doll and the new handkerchief doll!
 For snack we had boiled cornmeal with maple syrup, I found the directions here.
 Since we didn't have time for int-tying last week, we did some knot-tying this week. I gave the girls two twelve-inch pieces of natural cord. I used this book for help, and an iPhone app called Knots 3D. We tied a figure-eight knot, also called a Flemish knot. We also tried the Carrick bend, which looked like two fish intertwined. We also tried the clove hitch, which is considered to be an "essential" knot. The app videos were very helpful, and I also drew them on my white board.

 The 2:00 class working on their dolls...
 Waiting to be hot glued...
 So thankful for the mom volunteers that helped with the glue guns for the lace and ribbon rose!

 Eating snack... the liked the syrup added to the top!
 Waiting and tying knots...

 Playing with their dolls together...

They were a hit-- so pretty!


1 Chronicles 22:15-16
You have many workers: stonecutters, masons and carpenters, as well as those skilled in every kind of work in gold and silver, bronze and iron—craftsmen beyond number. Now begin the work, and the Lord be with you.”

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”;

2 Corinthians 12:16
Be that as it may, I have not been a burden to you. Yet, crafty fellow that I am, I caught you by trickery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...