Thursday, April 17, 2014

American Girl class: Josefina #2 Week 5

This week in American Girl class, after discussing Book 5 in the series, Josefina Saves the Day, we read from Welcome to Josefina's World. We read pages about the Camino Real, trading and the Santa Fe Market. After the reading, we began our simple craft.

This craft is another one from Josefina's Craft Book. It is fairly easy, using an inexpensive corn broom from Wal-mart. I cut the broom apart, and the girls each used a small pile to tie into their own broom. We tied the whisk broom with a rubber band (which Josefina didn't have) and a piece of jute cord. I showed the girls how to fan out the broom for use. We discussed how they may have also used a broom like this for combing their hair too!

After our simple and easy craft, we had snack. The snack this week was fruit turnovers, you can find an easy recipe here. One of the moms told me that she quadrupled the recipe so there would be enough for 10-12 turnovers. She also brought lavender lemonade for snack-- yum! The girls loved the fruit turnovers, and one girl said, "I wish I could eat one every day!" :-D


Since our craft was quick and easy, the girls had more time to work on their cardboard loom. They are getting closer to finishing them. A few girls told me they were finished, but when I scrunched it up with a popsicle stick, they saw they had more room to weave! We will finish the weaving next week in our last class for the semester. One of the girls tried to convince me that I should hold a local American Girl camp this summer! I told her I would think about it... it does sound like fun!



 The 2:00 class weaving and chatting...

The class always goes by quickly, as does the semester! Only one more class left... :-(


Isaiah 14:23
“I will turn her into a place for owls and into swampland; I will sweep her with the broom of destruction,” declares the Lord Almighty.

Amos 5:6
Seek the Lord and live, or he will sweep through the tribes of Joseph like a fire; it will devour them, and Bethel will have no one to quench it.

Luke 15:8
[ The Parable of the Lost Coin ] “Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp,sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...