Thursday, April 3, 2014

American Girl class: Josefina#2: Week 3

Our American Girl class was fun this week, albeit a bit unusual. As I arrived for classes, I quickly realized that my usual classroom was under painting construction. We were moved to a new room, which was fine, just different. As we dug into things, I realized I forgot the yarn bucket that we use for weaving. Sigh. However, the day still turned out well.

After we discussed Josefina's Surprise (book 3), we began our craft of hair combs. I gave each girl two hair combs (I found them at Safeway), a bunch of adhesive glue dots, and beads or rhinestones to put on them. Last time I did this craft, we used hot glue and the beads fell off eventually. I am hoping the beads stay on better with the glue dots!


The mom forgot snack, but when I texted her, she found some hot chocolate with cinnamon in the kitchen. It worked out fine! The girls mostly enjoyed the cinnamon in the hot chocolate, and were a little disappointed that we didn't have something to eat too. (I'm starving!" Sorry..., you're ok!)

While we waited for snack, I passed out the weaving boards but without much yarn, the girls didn't work on them much. OOPS! Instead, we read several pages from Welcome to Josefina's World. We read a little about Las Posadas and discussed that a little more. I also read about the dolls and toys they had (like the doll Nina in our book). I also read the story about the Weeping Woman.

Then we played a game where the girls closed their eyes (and covered them to be sure) and I put a bead in one girl's hand. Then the other girls chanted, "Where is the bead hiding, who has the bead? with a Native American phrase that I quickly found online. They guessed until the bead was found. Then we closed eyes and did it again. It was fun and a great way to pass the last few minutes.

Before the 2nd class, I found some yarn in the supplies at the church, and used a little for the class. The colors were different, but the girls still got to work on their weaving project.
 The 2:00 class...
 So pretty!
 Weaving and snacking...


Thanks, girls for putting up with my forgetfulness! Hopefully I'll remember all of my supplies next week! (BTW, the whole day ended up being that way... Ugh.) God has a strange way of showing us our need of Him! I felt He helped me so the day wasn't a total wreck!


Leviticus 10:6
Then Moses said to Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, “Do not let your hair become unkempt and do not tear your clothes, or you will die and the Lord will be angry with the whole community. But your relatives, all the Israelites, may mourn for those the Lord has destroyed by fire.

Isaiah 19:9
Those who work with combed flax will despair, the weavers of fine linen will lose hope.

Luke 12:7
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...