Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The days are fleeting...

Last week, I was walking with my three younger children out of our city library branch with my bag bulging with picture books from the shelves. We chose a bunch that piqued our interest, including Curious George, Mo Willems books, a few Little Critter, easy readers, comic books and several others. The kids always enjoy perusing the stacks and choosing some leisure reading for the next few weeks.

As we walked out, I was holding my young daughters' hands (ages 5 and 7), one on each side. My son walked nearby. I put on my sunglasses against the noonday sun. We walked past a sweet, white-haired couple, who was walking out of the library slowly. They were bespectacled, each with one chosen book in their hand. I walked past them with my bulging back, and thought, "That will be me someday soon. I'll have no more bulging bag of books, but just one large novel to read." The thought made me a little sad, yet determined to savor these full days of late Spring and early Summer.

Days full of riding bikes, playing catch, doing chores, watering plants, watching early morning cartoons and reading books surrounded by one, two or three children. Days reading with my children all kinds of books, from classic picture books to read-aloud story books with make us sad and yet giggle too. I know my days of having small children at home are numbered, and I want to savor them.

Thank you Lord, for the reminder to treasure these days with my children, to be there to enjoy their smiles, kiss their knees and look into their big eyes. Thank you for appointing me to be their mother. It can be a tough job, but with God's help, I find moments of joy in it all.



Psalm 39:4-5“Show me, Lord, my life’s end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting my life is.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
even those who seem secure.



Psalm 144:3-4Lord, what are human beings that you care for them,
mere mortals that you think of them?
They are like a breath;
their days are like a fleeting shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...