Thursday, March 5, 2015

American Girl class: Addy week 6 (time #2)

This week in American Girl class, we discussed book 6 in the Addy series, Changes for Addy. I read part of the Emancipation proclamation and discussed emancipation. What an exciting time for slaves!

Our craft was a rag doll filled with beans. I traced and sewed most of the doll at home. It looked like a brown puppet! The bottom end was left open, and they filled it with beans. They stitched the bottom end up with a needle and thread. We put doll clothes on her, and then sewed two blue eyes and a smile. I gave the girls a length of chunky black yarn for the hair. Some of the girls got it sewn on, and some didn't. You can find more detailed instructions on the clothes-- measurements, etc., on this blog post here.

Here is the Ida Bean doll template:
This is on a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11" paper.
 Filling the dolls with beans...
 The girls were eating snack and sewing on the face parts...

Our snack was mock apple pie. I found the recipe online here. It was pretty good, and very interesting that it doesn't have any apples!
 I'm SO thankful for my mom helpers in my class-- they're the best!
 My daughter's nearly finished doll. Most of the girls are calling their dolls Ida Bean or Addy. My daughter is calling hers Addy. It's kinda cute!

It was our last week of Addy. We all really enjoyed her story and the books. I'm sad to "leave" Addy. She's one of my favorites. In two weeks we begin Samantha! We have a week off for our homeschool group testing.

Let me know if you make these dolls, I'd love to hear about them!

Jeremiah 13:23
Can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

Matthew 6:28
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.

Matthew 25:36
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...