Monday, June 4, 2018

Why I like crossword puzzles...

 The past several years I have enjoyed doing crossword puzzles. My dad enjoys them and so did my grandparents. I am not into the New York Times crosswords, they are very difficult! This past spring, I've been trying to spend less time on my phone. I don't always have lots of time to do them, I wish I had more time and quiet to read. I've always liked word games, including Boggle, Scrabble, and word searches.

But here are my Top 10 reasons that I enjoy crossword puzzles...

1. They are a good challenge for me mentally.

2. They keep my brain sharp, which is important as a stay-at-home mom.

3. They are portable, I can tuck them into my purse easily. I can work on them in the car, the doctor's office, or even while waiting for a baseball game to start.
4.  I learn new words, abbreviations and names of actresses/ actors, etc.,

5. It keeps me wondering how people can think and write crosswords. Have you seen the movie, "Wordplay" about Will Shortz, the editor for the NY Times crossword puzzles? I found it quite intriguing!

6. I like to use fun pen colors on my crossword puzzles, like purple or blue. No pencils for me!

7. I feel like I am doing something productive with my spare time, instead of just staring at my phone.

8. I get to interact with my hubby and kids who help me sometimes, especially with the sports and computer related clues.

9. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete a big puzzle, like the one in the Sunday newspaper.

10. Since I don't get the daily newspaper, I can buy a crossword puzzle book for a few dollars or even $1.00, and enjoy a hobby!

What about you? Do you enjoy crossword puzzles or word games?


John 1:1-5, 14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I too am a crossword puzzle nut. I print puzzles online from the LA Times and several other papers. I favorite series in a book are the Simon & Schuster Mega Crossword Puzzle books. You can tear out the perforated pages. For solving tough ones like the NY Times I found an excellent dictionary that even includes famous people - The Million Word Crossword Dictionary. I am embarrassed to say that I spend a lot more time doing puzzles than I do in my Bible.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...