Monday, January 21, 2019

Empty and full

As a mom, I feel like I spend so much time filling and emptying all kinds of things. I fill the dishwasher, run it, and then empty it again. I fill the sink, wash the dishes, put away the dishes, and then sink fills up again. (Especially when my daughters bake!) The hampers get full, I empty them into the washer, then empty the washer into the dryer, and refill the washer again. The laundry baskets get emptied when I fold the clothes, and the dressers fill up again. Then the process starts all over...

When the cupboards get empty, I go to the grocery store, and fill up the grocery cart with good food. I empty all of the new food into the house, filling up the cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer again. The food gets emptied out day by day, as it is cooked to fill the bellies of my family. I fill plates that get emptied of food. I fill water and milk cups that get emptied.

At times it amazes me how quickly things get empty. It amazes me also to see how easily things get filled. I try to fill the minds of my children with good things each day. I try to fill their hearts with love from hugs, kisses and time listening to them.

There are many things that are full in our lives. There are bookshelves that are full. Our days our filled with classes, reading, talking, discussing, learning and much more. Our home has lots of good furniture that fills it up. Our home fills up with people during family gatherings or parties. At times our home is filled with laughter, other times it is quiet, sadness, or contemplation. We have so much, yet at times, we can feel empty.

I have found what fills my days with joy, when I feel alone, empty and undone is only Jesus. My love for God fills me heart each day. My desire to serve Him alone can encourage my soul when I am weary. When I am weary of the ways of the world, weary of winter, "weary of doing it all," I can lay my heart at the feet of Jesus. It is there that I find true meaning, and fullness in my days. I can open my Bible, and be filled with the fullness of God.


Ephesians 3:14-21

For this reason I kneel before the Father,  from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,  and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Jill what a blessed message
    The peace and the fullness of Jesus

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...