Monday, August 12, 2019

Being a VBS leader...

God has really done a lot of work on my heart the past eight months, especially the last three months. In October, we went to our church's ladies retreat in the nearby mountains for a weekend getaway. The theme was "Get out of the Boat" (or something like that) and we talked about the story of Jesus calming the storm and how Peter got out of the boat and walked to Jesus. We talked about the courage it must have taken him to walk on the water and keep his eyes on Jesus, and when he took his eyes off of Jesus, he faltered. We talked about listening to what God is saying to us, is there something that you need to do, something different, and "get out of the boat" in your own life. Is there something that you need to do, which takes you out of your comfort zone, but if you did, God could use you?

God gently nudged me that, yes there is something I could do... and I didn't like the idea at first. I felt God telling me, way back in October, that I needed to be the VBS Director at our church this year. The idea made me cry. I do not feel like I have been gifted with leadership. I am a helper. I am happy to get alongside the leader, and help them all day long. But for me to be the one in charge? No, thank you. A friend of mine and I met and prayed about it after the main meeting. I prayed for her too. We prayed about it for several months.

After the retreat, I went home and every devotional, every story, every email encouragement was all about giving something to God and letting Him work in you. In early November, I read a devotional about how God has known you from the womb, how He knows your personality, your gifts, your desires and your call... and about how we can take heart that the call God has given me has been given to every believer, in Matthew 28:18-20, the Great Commission. I kept praying about my decision. (VBS is a great place to "make new disciples"...)

Another devotional that I read talked about how God in His perfect love doesn't want us to impress anyone, just to show up. Perfect Love says that when you can't carry on, He will carry you. So if don't want to do that practice, that cleaning, studying, sweating, or do that thing that feels like an impossible thing--You can bravely do the next thing, because God's got this thing!
Hmmm... ok, God, I think I'm starting to get the message...

I also read a book by Lysa Terkeurst called "The Best Yes." The tagline of the book says, "Making wise decisions in the midst of endless demands." She talked about the difference between saying yes to everyone and saying yes to God. She talked about overcoming to agony of hard choices by embracing a wisdom based decision-making process. I thought a lot about being the VBS director when I read this book. I prayed about my decision and about obeying God's instruction for today and His direction for tomorrow. I thought a lot about not only finding the time but honoring God with the time we have. I thought about handling the VBS responsibility along with my other current responsibilities-- physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually.


So I finally accepted that this is what God wanted me to do. I told our children's education pastor and he was glad to have my leadership this year. Then over the next few months, things began to happen in his family that made it evident that God needed me to shoulder this burden for him so he could be more available to help his family through the challenges that they were facing. More than one of his kids needed extra help, and his mother went into the hospital overnight. Our head pastor remarked to me several times that he was so glad I was leading VBS this year, how our children's pastor needed that help so much.

I led all of the leader's meetings, following the example of others who headed our VBS in the past. I felt like we were more prepared for VBS this year. I had a good team of leaders, I definitely did not do it on my own. There were several people in new roles, and others who have filled the leadership roles for many years. I am very thankful for ALL of the volunteers that we had. Our pastor worked a lot on recruiting volunteers. I did too, and had some "no, sorry" responses that were a little hard to hear. I had a tough time filling the decorating role, which I have done for the past 5 years. We did get two gals to do the job, and it turned out great! God answered my prayers in the leadership and volunteer aspect for sure!

A sweet few friends sent us thank you notes after VBS. I enjoyed each one. One remarked, "May we never forget the power of hearing 200 children saying John 20:31 together." That is true-- it was a powerful time, to be united as one group, reciting the theme verse. It was a week that I will not forget. It took me several weeks to recover. I felt like I had been thinking about VBS so long, that it took a bit to relax and NOT think about it! It was natural to evaluate it after the week was over. I have some good ideas for things to do next year. Several people have asked if I will lead again next year. All I can say right now is "Maybe, I don't know..." God has not given me direction in that way yet, but I would be open to it. They say the first year is the hardest, right...?"


Giving daily announcements...


John 20:31
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.



Matthew 14:25-33


Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

“Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”




Psalm 25:1
In you, Lord my God, I put my trust.


Psalm 31:14
But I trust in you, Lord; I say, “You are my God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...