Tuesday, August 30, 2022

From sad to glad day

 This morning, we woke up to news that a wonderful man from our church had passed away from cancer. He was a true servant and had helped in so many ways and so many areas in our church. You may know someone like him. He was a perpetual deacon, helped in boys' clubs a long time ago, and ran the Pinewood Derby at our church. He had built the track years ago and set it up every year. He put together ice fishing trips in January. He played bass in the praise team band. He even played bass during VBS for a few years. When our janitor got fired, he took the position part-time. He mowed the church lawn for a while. I'm sure that there is much more that he did... we will really miss him.

For the past 2 months, I've been driving for a local meal delivery service that brings lunches to seniors that need them. I deliver about 15 meals every Monday for an hour and a half. Today they just brightened my day. A newer client called me by name. I was briefly invited into two different homes (that I'd never been into before). One gal told me that she had a busy afternoon because she was going to the bank. I just enjoy getting to know these seniors, petting their dogs, and briefly chatting with the older ladies and men. Today God knew I would need their smiles, and that is what I got in return for my work.

 I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this when I began in mid-July... but it has been a great experience. Even though one week my van broke down and I needed a jump 20 minutes from home. Thankfully my son came through for me! My youngest daughter helped me 2 or 3 times in the summer. She was a great navigator. I hardly need the navigation anymore, since I am remembering how to get to the clients' homes. I miss her company though, she tells me stories!

Here is what my car looks like during my deliveries... 


What kind of volunteering do you do? I'd love to hear about it and how it affects your life!

Psalm 68:5
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

Acts 9:39
Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

Acts 9:41
He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...