Friday, September 23, 2011

Lip Balm Recipe

Last Friday, I posted a recipe for Sugar Scrub from a freebie cookbook that I now own. I was so excited because one of the things that was listed was several recipes for lip balm. I've wanted to try making my own lip balm for a while! I've gotten other recipes for it elsewhere, and just never made the time to try it. I was excited also because the recipe was things that I had on hand in my kitchen!

There are many different oils that you can use in your lip balm, much like my homemade lotion recipe, which you can find here. You can use: coconut oil (which I have, extra virgin is best), sunflower oil, olive oil (which I used), lanolin, shea butter, almond oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter. If you want healing properties, you can use rosemary extract and/or comfrey.

For my recipe, I used:
1 tsp beeswax beads
1 tsp olive (or other) oil
1 tsp coconut oil (this hardens well, makes it set up)
2 drops tea tree oil (optional)
1 capsule or 5 drops Vitamin E (a preservative, healing for skin)

If you're interested, you can add:
flavoring (peppermint, cherry, grape, vanilla, orange, etc.,)
1 tsp (total) comfrey/ rosemary extract

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oils and beeswax on low-med low heat just until melted. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Use a dropper to place in tubes or small jars. (I got some at Vitamin Cottage.)


I was amazed how quick and easy it was! I actually doubled the recipe, and filled three small round containers. (1/2 ounce each?) I look forward to trying it again, and maybe adding shea butter next time! It was a fun little science experiment for me! Wish I'd learned something practical like that in high school science!

Let me know if you try it, I'd love to hear your review! Next I may need to try the Chocolate Lip Balm- sounds delicious--I may be licking me lips all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...