Friday, January 20, 2012

Left-handed

Sorry, no recipe today, cooking all the same old things... I'll try to be more inspired with a new recipe soon!
____________________________________________

There are some lines in our favorite movie, The Princess Bride...
Inigo says, "I admit it, you are better than me." (while in sword battle)
The Man in Black says, "Then why are you smiling?" to Inigo Montoya. 
"There is something you do not know about me..." Inigo says.
"And what is that?" the man says.
"I am not left-handed!" Inigo says. 
"Neither am I", says the Man in Black.

I however, am left-handed. It is not an easy thing to be in this right-hand biased world. Here is an example:

 We have this mug in our house. If you hold the lovely holiday mug in your right-hand, you can see the Rudolph. If you hold it in your left hand, you will not see him.

PROOF of the BIAS!

Here are some of my favorite quotes about being left-handed...


"Then right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This means that only left-handed people are in their right mind."

"God made everyone right-handed, only the truly gifted overcome it."

____________________________________________
Did you know that there is a day just for Left-handers? August 13, celebrate your right to be left-handed.
Find more info here: http://www.lefthandersday.com/

Here are some little know fascinating facts about lefties, also from the above website.


-Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right. 

-There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left-handed.

-Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child, like King of England George VI). 
Image description-Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.

-Left-handers excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing.

-Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers.

-4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed. (maybe that's why I like Macs!)

-1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level.

-Left-handers are generally more intelligent, better looking, imaginative and multi-talented than right handers - based on discussions among members of the Left-Handers Club! :)

I am in good company in my family, as my dad and my son are also left-handed. If you are in my kitchen, now you will know why things are set up differently...

1 comment:

  1. The mug made me chuckle! I'll have to check my mugs next time you're here to make sure I don't give you a right-handed mug!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...