Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fear/ Worry

Last week, during our VBS we sang a song (post found here) which included the words, "If God is for me, who can be against me? Why should I fear/ Why should I worry?"

I've been thinking about what an amazing truth this is for kids to learn and sing about. I was a worrier as a kid, and a little as an adult, but have grown a lot in that area... at least until my daughter begins driving and dating! My son is also a worrier. He will frequently call us into his bedroom after he has been in his bed for a little while at night. He's inevitably worrying about something that he has no control over, like the weather. Just this past weekend, he was worrying about the man Nik Wallenda  who walked on a tightrope across Niagara Falls. Of course, Mr. Wallenda made the journey safely, praising God and Jesus afterward. I told my son that he had trained to do this, and may have been scared, but we do not need to worry about him, since he was safe.

I know I worry about things, and it just really doesn't make sense. I always feel better when I place the matter into God's hands and leave it there. It is not easy to do this, it may require some work and discipline on my/ our part, but it is an important lesson to learn... to trust God. I love that I can sing the song to myself and my son as a good reminder that God is for us and in control!

Here are a few of the many, many verses about not being afraid...

Genesis 15:1
The LORD’s Covenant With Abram ] After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward. ”



Deuteronomy 3:22
"Do not be afraid of them; the LORD your God himself will fight for you.”



Deuteronomy 31:8
"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid;do not be discouraged.”



Hebrews 13:6
"So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”



John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts betroubled and do not be afraid."





I pray today that YOU will place your trust and peace in HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...