Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday #7


I was reading in my devotional book for this year, Praying with the Psalms, and read one this past week that related to my thankfulness posts! Here it is:

Psalm 92:1-4 (I posted this verse a few weeks ago here.)
"It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praises to your name, O Most High." Psalm 92:1

Thanks to God is not a grudging act of courtesy, but an exuberant explosion of delight. It is not the polite exchange of amenities, but the song burst of joy. Every day provides new opportunities and fresh forms in which to proclaim praise.

Prayer: Dear God, I will greet morning as a rising of the light of your love upon me; I kneel at evening and receive your benediction. In between I will use every tune I know to carry a song of praise to you."
------------------------------------------

There were several reasons that I chose to share the above devotion. I like the words which are so descriptive-- grudging, exuberant explosion, polite, amenities, song burst... But I also appreciate the truth found here-- each day does give new opportunities and ways to proclaim God's praise. I also enjoyed the prayer-- the idea of using every tune I know to sing praise to God.

In my quiet times, I have been writing down 1000 gifts since May. I reached my 500th gift to be thankful for this past week.
#500 was... (I'm thankful for) time to snuggle with my two girls while reading a book before naps on my bed. I really treasure the sweet time we share there, especially since I know it is fleeting!

God has truly blessed me, and I have been delighting finding little ways to be thankful each day. What gifts has God blessed you with today? Have you thanked Him?


1 Chronicles 29:11-13

11 Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power 
    and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
    for everything in heaven and earth is yours. 
Yours, Lord, is the kingdom;
    you are exalted as head over all. 
12 Wealth and honor come from you;
    you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power
    to exalt and give strength to all.
13 Now, our God, we give you thanks,
    and praise your glorious name.

1 comment:

  1. what an excellent challenge to undertake ... I'm certain it would cause me to see each day a little differently. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...