Thursday, February 7, 2013

American Girl class: Molly Week 2

This week in our American Girl class, we reviewed Molly Learns A Lesson, book 2 in the series. After we discussed the book, I read the War Message on page 67. We then dove into our craft, because I knew it was going to take a large part of the class to complete, and it did!
 In the Molly book this week, she and her classmates take part in the Lend-A-Hand contest at their school and they knit squares for a blanket. I don't know how to knit, and wasn't about to try to teach the girls, so we made Polar Fleece blankets to donate instead! I looked at the polar fleece kits, and decided that they were more money than I wanted to spend. So I just picked out coordinating colors of polar fleece that I liked, and bought enough for six blankets.
 Starting to cut and tie...

Girls hard at work!
Tying and more tying...
One of the completed butterfly blankets...
One of the girls had her Molly doll dressed like the cover of our book!

A completed blanket after the 1:00 class!

We made three blankets in each class, and the girls seemed to enjoy the craft! I got 1 1/2 yards of fleece in two colors for each blanket. I showed the girls how to cut one-inch strips that were about 3 inches long. They cut through two colors at one time. It was a little challenging with some of our scissors, but we got them to work!
After we cut the strips- there were 3-4 girls working on each blanket-- then they tied the strips into double-knots. A few of the girls thought that was kinda hard. I was very thankful for my mom helpers who helped a bunch with this step-- and I did too! But it was a very fun craft, and we get to donate them! You can find out more about Project Linus here. I have contacted our local chapter and will be donating the blankets soon!

When we finished the blankets, we had Boston Brown Bread with Raisins for snack. I found several recipes here. The girls seemed to like the bread! We had butter on it, and water to drink. In the last few minutes of class, we did the Flag Salute and sang “America The Beautiful”. It was a fun class! Next week we will get to celebrate Christmas! 


Matthew 25:35-40

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun! We miss the class, but I guess kids grow up and life marches on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...