Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Toss-back Tuesday: Summer as a kid

I recently saw a writing prompt about what summer was like when you were a kid. I didn't get pictures from my parents house until just this weekend, so I am finally getting around to writing about my summers.

Summers lasted forever, with lots of time to forget everything we learned in school. We had long days of playing outside, when my hair turned blonde and my skin turned brown. I don't remember putting on sunscreen until I was maybe 10, and that was when we went to the pool. When I was in preschool, my parents had an above-ground pool in our backyard. I don't remember much about it, except my green bikini, since I was only five years old when we moved from that home. But I do love this picture showing my tiny behind and two of my church friends. My oldest brother is in the pool smiling at the camera.
Such cute hinies...

Another memory that I have of other summers "way back when" is of my family going to a cottage in Michigan (I think). We usually went there with friends from church, or longtime friends (with kids) of my parents, and family. I love the carefree attitude we had while we were there, with spending lots of time in the lake. I remember there was a hot metal slide there and one time I was afraid I would be stung by a dragonfly. (Just the name is scary, right?!) I like my plain blue swimsuit that I had, and since I had no permanent front teeth, I couldn't have been more than six years old.

 I am still in contact with the girl in the middle on Facebook. Not sure if she reads my blog or if she'd like to see this picture... but I think it is a cute one of me (on the right).
 The evenings would get cool and we kids would put on our footie pajamas. I like seeing me in my pink ones (which look too big) and my friends from church (the same ones in the pool picture above). We're so cute, and very late-70's in our styles. What great memories I have of summers... now they are not as fun... what did my mom do to keep us all entertained?

What about you? What were summers like when you were a child? I'd love to hear about it!


Psalm 74:17
It was you who set all the boundaries of the earth; you made both summer and winter.


Luke 18:16
But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.


1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...