Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Goodbye Grandpa...

Today we say goodbye to one of the best men I have known in my life, my Grandfather. He was a very strong Christian man, Dutch, very loving, funny and strong. He had a talent for making wood crafts, enjoyed bowling, golfing, playing games and fishing. He is the patriarch of our large family. My mom is one of 12 kids. My Grandpa and Grandma have 52 grandkids, 8 step-grandkids, 128 great-grandkids, and have 5 great-great grandkids! What a large family we have, and I LOVE IT! He loved, loved kids, especially babies. When there was a baby around, he always wanted to hold it. We will miss him so much. He remarried 12 years ago, and leaves his 2nd wife, age 91. My Grandpa lived a long, full life-- he was 99 1/2 years old!

We travelled to Chicago from Colorado for his funeral, which is today. It is hard to say goodbye, but I am so thankful that he has a new body, and is in heaven with his Lord and Savior, JESUS! We will see him again one day in heaven. There is a comfort in knowing that, with strong conviction, he is living in the glory and splendor of God.

On Saturday before we left home, I went to my parents' home in town and found old pictures of him, with my Grandma, and with my mom, me and my two older kids. I am sad that my two younger girls never got to meet him. Here are some of the pictures that I found...

My Grandpa & Grandma at my parents' wedding-- 1966.
 This is what I remember them looking like when I was little...
 Their 50th anniversary-- 1988...
All 12 of their kids together with my grandparents for their 50th anniversary... (My mom is in the gray on the left side)
 My Grandpa holding my cousin and my sister (curly haired) at a family reunion...
This was taken when they were at our house for my high school graduation.
My Grandpa holding Caleb and rocking while singing a song in Dutch. Caleb looked at him like, "What are you saying?" 
My Grandpa holding my oldest daughter Rebekah, me, my mom and Caleb-- 4 generations! (Taken about 10 years ago)
My older brother Dave and my Grandpa wearing matching hats-- looking so cool! This one shows his sense of humor. : - D


1 Chronicles 29:28
(King David) He died at a good old age, having enjoyed long life, wealth and honor. His son Solomon succeeded him as king.

Psalm 92:14
They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Proverbs 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...