Monday, August 19, 2013

Prayer for Husband's Emotions/ Walk/ Talk


Several years ago, I read the book Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. I really enjoyed the book, and typed up many of the prayers from the book so I could pray them over again for my husband, Joshua. This prayer is part of a blog series on Mondays with prayers for husbands. I encourage you to print the prayers and pray them along with me for your own husband! I hope you will join me in asking God to  work in his emotions, his walk and his talk for our prayer this week...

See first prayer here.
See second prayer here.
See third prayer here.
See fourth prayer here.
See fifth prayer here.

See the sixth prayer here.
See seventh prayer here.
See eighth prayer here.
See ninth prayer here.
See tenth prayer here.


Prayer for His Emotions

Lord, You have said in Your Word that You redeem our souls when we put our trust in You (Psalm 34:22). I pray that (name) would have faith in You to redeem his soul from negative emotions. May he never be controlled by depression, anger, anxiety, jealousy, hopelessness, fear or suicidal thoughts. Specifically, I pray about (area of concern). Deliver him from this and all other controlling emotions (Psalm 40:17). I know that only You can deliver and heal, but use me as Your instrument of restoration. Help me not to be pulled down with him when he struggles. Enable me instead to understand and have words to say that will bring him life.
Free him to share his deepest feelings with me and others who can help. Liberate him to cry when he needs to and not bottle his emotions inside. At the same time, give him the gift of laughter and ability to find humor in even serious situations. Teach him to take his eyes off his circumstances and trust in You, regardless of how he is feeling. Give him patience to possess his soul and the ability to take charge of it (Luke 21:19). Anoint him with “the oil of joy” (Isaiah 61:3), refresh him with Your Spirit, and set him free from negative emotions this day. 

Prayer for His Walk

“O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who directs his steps” (Jeremiah 10:23). Therefore, Lord, I pray that You would direct my husband’s steps. Lead him in Your light, teach him Your way, so he will walk in Your truth. I pray that he would have a deeper walk with You and an ever progressing hunger for Your Word. May Your presence be like a delicacy he never ceases to crave. Lead him on Your path and make him quick to confess when he strays from it. Reveal to him any hidden sin so that it would hinder him from walking rightly before You. May he experience deep repentance when he doesn’t live in obedience to Your laws. Create in him a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit within him. Don’t cast him away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from him (Psalm 51:10,11).
Lord, Your Word says that those who are in the flesh cannot please You (Romans 8:8). So I pray that You will enable (name) to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh and thereby keep himself “from the paths of the destroyer” (Psalm 17:4). As he walks in the Spirit, may he bear the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22, 23). Keep him on the Highway of Holiness so that the way he walks will be integrated into every part of his life.

Prayer for His Talk

Lord, I pray that Your Holy Spirit would guard my husband’s mouth so that he will speak only words that edify and bring life. Help him to not be a grumbler, complainer, user of foul language, or one who destroys with his words, but be disciplined enough to keep his conversation godly. Your Word says a man who desires a long life must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit (Psalm 34:12-13). Show him how to do that. Fill him with Your love so that out of the overflow of his heart will come words that build up and not tear down. Work that in my heart as well.
May Your Spirit of love reign in the words we speak so that we don’t miscommunicate or wound one another. Help us to show each other respect, speak words that encourage, share our feelings openly, and come to mutual agreements without strife. Lord, You’ve said in Your Word that when two agree, You are in their midst. I pray that the reverse be true as well-that You will be in our midst so that we two can agree. Let the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, our strength and our Redeemer (Psalm 19:14).
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you prayed for your husband today? What a privilege we have as wives to lift our men up in prayer! What not thank God for him and pray this prayer today?


Psalm 40:17
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
you are my God, do not delay.

Psalm 17:4
Though people tried to bribe me,
 I have kept myself from the ways of the violent
through what your lips have commanded.

Psalm 34:12-13
Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...