Thursday, September 26, 2013

American Girl class: Kaya #2: Week 3

We had a wonderful American Girl class this week! After we discussed Kaya's Hero (book 3 in the Kaya series), we made paper bag vests! Several of the girls brought paper bags from home, and I have been stashing them for a few months. I followed basic directions found here. I liked the vest ideas here too. The girls liked fringing the bottom, tracing and cutting out shapes and gluing them to the vest. I had several items to trace: teepees, stars, mountains, butterflies, hearts, etc., It was fun to see what each girl added to her vest. I didn't get any pictures of the completed vests, though. 




In class, I showed our mortar and pestle (above) which the women in the book used to make pemmican. (page 23) The girls liked seeing and touching the real thing--though the native's bowl was probably bigger!

 We also worked on our geography pages after snack. I printed a U.S. map for the girls to color Idaho and write Kaya on the map. Since Kaya would have lived around where Idaho is now, I printed pages for Idaho:

 Here are links to the printables that I copied for the notebook:

Idaho coloring page: http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/print/idaho-coloring-page/

Idaho state bird and flower page: http://www.kidzone.ws/geography/usa/idaho/both.htm

Our snack this week was Easy Indian Fry Bread. You can find the recipe here. I'm not sure the parents who made our snack this week used this recipe or if they made their own. The girl in class who helped make it said they made it from scratch! The girls enjoyed it, even if it was a little plain!
 In the 2:00 class, I had run out of paper bags. I felt terrible! I tried to remind the moms to bring one, but they forgot. :( So I had lots of construction paper, and several girls made a folded paper brown vest for their doll! It was a great way to improvise! Maybe they made one at home later... Sorry!

We worked on our geography pages too. I also showed a picture of a cradle board like was discussed in our book. It was on our visit to the American Girl store. You can see that picture here. I also showed some pages from Welcome to Kaya's World.  It was a fun class, I hope the girls enjoyed it as much as I did!

I am looking forward to next week's class!


Exodus 2:5-7
Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank.She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.
Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?”

Psalm 147:9-11
He provides food for the cattle
and for the young ravens when they call.
His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his delight in the legs of the warrior;
the Lord delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will become a great follower.Just want to say your article is striking. The clarity in your post is simply striking and i can take for granted you are an expert on this subject.
    skinny fiber

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...